Position: Senior Accountant
Location: New York
Term: Full Time
Since 1992, Equality Now has been using the law to protect and promote the human rights of women and girls around the world. With partners and supporters in nearly every country in the world, and staff in New York, London, Nairobi, Amman and Washington, D.C., Equality Now advocates locally, nationally and internationally to advance Legal Equality and Justice for Girls, and to End Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage".
Working closely with the Director of Finance & Administration, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for ensuring that the financial affairs of the organization are properly managed. Responsibilities will include accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, grant accounting/reporting, journal entries, month and year-end closing process.
Finance and Accounting (not all inclusive)
- Ensure proper maintenance of all financial and accounting systems, functions, appropriate internal controls and procedures.
- Maintain all accounts, ledgers, spreadsheets, files and reporting systems.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements, budgets, forecasts, cash-flow projections and other financial reports.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for public sector funders and foundations,
- Review invoices, Check requests, wire transfers, cash advances, travel and business expense reports, and purchase card reconciliations.
- Oversee usage of corporate credit cards and distribution of petty cash.
- Coordinate audits and the proper filing of tax returns.
- Manage grant accounting and reporting.
- Oversee grants accounting and reporting, including restricted grant budgeting.
Skills and Experience
Strong work tenure: 5+ years of experience managing financial affairs and supporting executives, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Outstanding analytical and troubleshooting skills with exceptional knowledge of Excel
- Experience with Sage and QuickBooks highly desirable
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision making capability
- Highly resourceful team-player with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, adapt to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
- Demonstrates ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Experience/exposure in management of human resources, particularly enrollments and benefits administration; federal, state and local regulations pertaining to employment issues.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, and highly developed listening skills;
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail;
- A highly professional demeanor; able to stay calm under pressure; and extremely patient.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects appropriately and complete work in a timely fashion based on these priorities.
- A direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, with the ability to foster collaboration and contribute with fellow staff members.
- Bachelor's degree required.
To apply for the position, please submit a substantive letter of interest and a current resume to: Jobs@equalitynow.org with the title 'Senior Accountant in the subject line.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.