Every July, the United Nations hosts the High Level Political Forum (HLPF) in New York where civil society organizations, including Equality Now, and United Nations member states, and attendees collectively review progress against the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition to making recommendations to governments, we take part in several panel discussions and side events throughout the HLPF period and often organize and co-sponsor events ourselves.
Equality Now’s recommendations in 2019 focused on urging governments to:
- Reduce sexual violence in schools
- Eliminate all discrimination on the basis of sex
- Deliver justice for girls
- Enact robust laws to protect against sexual violence
- Enact comprehensive laws to end female genital mutilation (FGM)
- End human trafficking and exploitation