Gloria Steinem: 10 quotes from the front-lines of the fight for equality
Equality Now is honored to count Gloria Steinem as the chair of our Board Emeritus and for her support of our work since our organization’s beginning. Here are some of our favorite Gloria Steinem words to live by.
1. "Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood."
2. "We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud."
3. "The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day; a movement is only people moving."
4. "The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn."
5. "When unique voices are united in a common cause, they make history."
6. "We'll never solve the feminization of power until we solve the masculinity of wealth."
7. "Empathy is the most radical of human emotions."
8. "Women have two choices: Either she's a feminist or a masochist."
9. "I never wanted to be a politician or elected person myself, so I loved to work for other women who did—and hope that more girls will do that. The problem is the feeling that we're divided from politics, that our vote doesn't count or what we do doesn't count. In fact, everything we do counts."
10. "Now we know that, say, women can do what men can do—most folks would agree with that. But we don't know that men could do what women can do."
Need more Gloria in your life?
Julianne Moore and Alicia Vikander star as Gloria Steinem in The Glorias Movie, directed by Julie Taymor. Available for purchase and included with prime video on September 30.