Because of you 2013 was an amazing year! Thanks to you, our supporters, donors and friends, we are making progress in our campaigns to end sex trafficking, stop female genital mutilation (FGM), address sexual violence and establish equality for women under the law.
Action Updates - You are making an impact!
- Great news from Morocco! Parliament closes loophole being used to allow rapists to go free by marrying their victims (Article 475). Learn more here.
- Progress in Jordan - Jordan takes steps to improve the lives of Jordanian women with foreign spouses and their children. Learn more here.
- Positive developments in Kenya – Equality Now helps partner WRIP move 45 girls fleeing FGM and child marriage to safety, and government creates Anti-FGM Board. Learn more here.
Equality Now brings together anti-FGM activists in Nairobi
|Anti-FGM activists at Equality Now's "Holding Duty Bearers to Account" workshop, Jan 2014
From 27-31 January, Equality Now held a training workshop in Nairobi, Kenya attended by activists from 29 NGOs from 17 countries across Africa working to end FGM in their communities. A lively public forum on “State Responsibility, Role and Challenges in Ending FGM” brought together high level government officials with civil society, and we were privileged to have the recently appointed Chair of the new Anti-FGM Board, the Honourable Linah Jebii Kilimo, on the panel. Equality Now public service announcements are also running on Kenyan television in the lead up to International Zero Tolerance Day on 6 February to educate the public on the issue.
|Fatma Toufiq (Chairperson of Women Wake Up (WOWAP), Tanzania), Rugiatu Neneh Turay (Director, Amazonian Initiative Movement (AIM), Sierra Leone), Agnes Mantaine Pareyio (Project Coordinator of Tasaru Ntomonok Initiative (TNI), Kenya), Dr. Isatou Jarra Touray (Executive Director, The Gambia Committee on Traditional Practices (GAMCOTRAP), Gambia)
FGM Team News
We’re pleased to announce that Equality Now’s Efua Dorkenoo is transitioning to run an innovative project on FGM to be announced imminently which Equality Now is also involved in and is very excited about. Efua is a leading voice in the international anti-FGM movement and has been instrumental in getting the issue of FGM on the policy agenda in the UK. Efua will remain a senior adviser to Equality Now on FGM.
Join Team Yasmeen on Chime for Change
Global Director Yasmeen Hassan is curating projects on Chime for Change, founded by GUCCI, to bring attention to projects that are important to achieving gender equality and access for justice for women and girls.
Help support the cause and join her team today!
- 30 Jan - "Experts: Sex Traffickers Can Trick and Victimize Anyone" NY Office Director Lauren Hersh speaks on targeting demand to end sex trafficking
- 23 Jan - "Child Marriage Sets Girls Up for a Lifetime of Abuse" London Office Director Jacqui Hunt on Equality Now’s new child marriage report
- 6 Dec - "Ending Violence against Adolescent Girls in Zambian Schools" Nairobi Program Officer Caroline Muthoni talks about our project in Zambia to address sexual violence against girls