Communications Fellow - Africa Office
Position: Communications Fellow
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Term: Four months with possibility of a further two months extension
Since 1992, Equality Now has been using the law to protect and promote thehuman rights of women and girls around the world. With partners and supporters in nearly every country in the world, and staff in New York, London, Nairobi, Amman and Washington, D.C., Equality Now advocates locally, nationally and internationally to advance Legal Equality and Justice for Girls, and to End Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage."
Equality Now’s Africa Office convenes the Solidarity for African Women’s Rights (SOAWR) Coalition, which advocates for the ratification, domestication and implementation of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (the “Protocol”) as a critical tool to realize the human rights of women and girls.
Are you passionate about human rights, motivated to make the world a better place for women and girls and ready to use communications and media to influence change? Equality Now is offering a great opportunity to gain experience as a Fellow with our Communications Team based in Kenya.
As a valued member of the team, you will be able to apply your existing skills and experience whilst developing your skillset and enhancing your CV by gaining first-hand knowledge on human rights issues affecting women and girls; advocacy campaigning; communications content creation and public relations.
The Communications fellow role sits in Equality Now’s Africa office located in Nairobi and supports the implementation of the advocacy, and media strategy in order to advance the programmatic aims of the organization and raise positive awareness about the work we do.
The Communications Fellow will report to the Advocacy and Media Officer, Africa, with a dotted line management to our Senior Content and Media Manager.
• Assisting with social media on Facebook and Twitter.
• Sourcing quotations from vendors.
• Attending partner meetings and taking minutes.
• Media monitoring and compiling daily stories of interest to be shared with Equality Now staff across the globe.
• Logistics for partner communications and media related travel/trips.
• Setting up meetings.
• Assisting with planning meetings and logistics for partners.
• Documenting program events by taking minutes and pictures where necessary
• Media mapping of countries
• Background research.
• Filling and updating Equality Now’s resource and publications repository.
• Proof reading.
• Assisting with communications and media projects as assigned.
Skills and Experience
• Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• The ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• A demonstrable interest in human rights campaigning.
• A strong interest in communications and external relations.
• IT literate, with experience using Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to undertake research tasks independently.
• Positive attitude, dependable and good sense of humor.
• University degree or equivalent in Communications and Media.
• Should be creative and innovative.
• An understanding of and commitment to Equality Now’s work and objectives.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Previous experience of working in an office environment.
• Previous experience in communications and media.
• Previous experience writing high quality copy.
• Good understanding of running social media channels.
• Basic graphic design knowledge.
This opportunity is for a period of four months with possibility of a further two months extension. There will be a monthly basic expenses allowance. Please note that this role is located in our Nairobi office and we are unable to arrange accommodation or visas.
Equality Now is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Kindly submit your application with a detailed CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 25 April, 2018
Interviews: date to be communicated to shortlisted candidates