Officer - Communications and Marketing
Based in: New York
Equality Now has an immediate opening for a content and visual communications professional, with strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and with experience in SEO copywriting. Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Manager, the selected candidate will contribute to Equality Now’s content development, supporter engagement and marketing efforts. The position is based out of Equality Now’s Americas office in New York, but works with staff across all of the organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated communicator who loves to use technology and innovation to make the world better for women and girls.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and Ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Sex Trafficking and Sexual Violence.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications & Marketing Officer is responsible for the following activities:
Content Development & Implementation:
- Writes and posts effective and compelling short- and long-form digital/website content and blog posts
- Helps draft supporter communications, including: public advocacy campaigns, newsletters and emails to inspire existing and new supporters to join with Equality Now to advocate for a just world for women and girls. Necessitates close and ongoing interaction with program and other development and communications team members.
- Pitches story ideas to help develop the editorial calendar
Collateral Development: Supports the creation of online and offline organizational materials and programmatic reports, e.g. annual and impact reports, appeals, brochures, fact sheets and program-specific advocacy reports
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in communications, journalism or marketing
- Creative thinker with excellent SEO copywriting, editing and proofreading skills, and the ability to create multi-media content
- Social/new media-oriented
- Experience managing content within CRM and CMS environments (Salsa, Drupal, Wordpress, etc.)
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Facility with HTML/CSS
- Proficiency with image editing software (Photoshop)
- 4+ years of professional experience, preferably in content marketing
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively and respectfully with colleagues and partners in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, organized and results-oriented
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines
- Graphic Design & Production
- Knowledge of or experience in international human rights, social justice or legal advocacy, especially relating to women’s and girls’ rights
- Strategic communications planning
- Cross-cultural/international experience
- French, Spanish or Arabic language skills
- Sense of humor
Send resume, cover letter and two relevant writing samples, one of which must be a 300 word blog post on a social justice topic, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications & Marketing Officer” in the subject line.
No calls please. Unfortunately, we are only able to respond to short-listed candidates.
Expected start date: as soon as possible
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.