Social change often begins with legal change and political will to enforce the law.
Since 1992, Equality Now has advanced women’s and girls’ rights by:
- Combining legal advocacy with strategic litigation (taking carefully-selected cases to court to change laws and set legal precedents)
- Influencing policy makers to strengthen human rights laws and mechanisms
- Holding governments accountable to international human rights law and standards
- Elevating local advocacy to regional and international levels
- Building partnerships with local activists, organizations, and coalitions that are most familiar with the challenges and solutions in their particular communities
- Inspiring the public and the media to take action against human rights abuses
Use the law to change the world. Equality Now is dedicated to creating a more just world where women and girls have the same rights as men and boys. Our international network of lawyers, activists, and supporters hold governments responsible for ending female genital mutilation (FGM), legal inequality, sexual trafficking and sexual violence.