Legal Equality Programme Officer
Based in: London
This is a full-time position based in London. The Programme Officer will report directly to the Legal Equality Programme Manager and will work closely with, and report on activities to, the Regional Director for Europe. S/he will also work with programme, development and communications staff across all offices.
Equality Now is an established international legal advocacy organisation that works for the protection and promotion of women and girls’ human rights around the world. Working with grassroots and human rights organisations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and girls and mobilises international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. Our work currently focuses on four programme areas: Legal Equality, End Sexual Violence, End Harmful Practices and End Sex Trafficking and has a cross cutting focus on Adolescent Girls. We work globally and have offices in Europe, the Americas and Africa, with a growing presence in the Middle East.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Legal Equality Programme Manager and with input from the Regional Director, shape and implement Equality Now’s programme to promote equality in the law, with a particular focus on Europe.
- Develop Equality Now Action campaigns targeting governments and policymakers on the elimination of sex discrimination in the law and actively move forward existing campaigns with a particular focus on Europe.
- Draft high-quality technical submissions to public consultations (eg on draft laws, policy, etc) and human rights treaty bodies and mechanisms (eg UN CEDAW Committee).
- Communicate regularly with and engage new civil society partners predominantly from Europe, but also the Caucasus and Central Asia as required, to share information, seek their input and call for joint action.
- Engage, including through correspondence and meetings, with relevant government officials and United Nations agencies on active campaigns promoting legal equality in Europe and globally and leverage the support of global and regional actors based in Europe for Equality Now’s global campaigns.
- Develop and maintain close ties with a broad range of actors across Europe and familiarity with critical issues threatening women’s rights with the aim of lending urgent support as agreed.
- Coordinate and work closely with all other teams as guided by the Legal Equality Programme Manager. Ensure clear and consistent communication and coordination with relevant Programme Managers and their teams particularly in relation to regional emerging trends or opportunities in relation to their programme goals.
- Represent Equality Now in coalitions and at conferences and meetings.
- Assist in coordinating legal equality work, including regular team calls and minutes, updates for Staff and the Board of Directors, etc.
- Engage with media on women’s equality issues
Desired Skills and Experience
- Law degree
- 2+ years working on women’s rights, violence against women or similar issues
- Fluent English required and working knowledge of Russian, French, Spanish or Arabic preferred
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights framework and relevant human rights mechanisms/instruments
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to represent Equality Now in meetings with government officials and others
- Attention to detail
- Previous experience developing written materials (analyses, reports, talking points, etc)
- Experience in public speaking (eg presenting at conferences) and engaging with the media (eg giving interviews)
- Proven ability to work as part of a diverse and remote team
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse range of partners and colleagues
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications, skills, and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with Program Officer - Europe in the subject. Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered. The deadline for applications is close of business on Wednesday, 22 March 2017.