End Sex Trafficking Program Officer
Based in: New York, NY USA
The Program Officer will report to the End Sex Trafficking Manager and will work closely with program, development and communications staff across all offices.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and Ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Sex Trafficking and Sexual Violence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with End Sex Trafficking Manager and program staff, implement and shape Equality Now’s program on combatting the sex trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation of women and girls.
- Develop Equality Action campaigns targeting governments and policymakers on the elimination of sex trafficking and sex tourism and the demand that fuels them and actively move forward existing campaigns with a particular focus on the Americas region.
- Engage, including through correspondence and meetings, with relevant government officials, United Nations agencies and the Inter-American Commission on active anti-trafficking campaigns.
- Draft high-quality technical submissions to public consultations (e.g. on draft laws, policy, etc.) and human rights treaty bodies and mechanisms (e.g. UN Women. UN CEDAW Committee, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights).
- Coordinate and work closely with partners on strategic litigation cases involving the rights of adolescent girls subjected to trafficking or sexual exploitation through AGLDF.
- Communicate regularly with partners around the world, including survivors and survivor-led organizations, to share information, seek their input, call for joint action, and support their work.
- Represent Equality Now in anti-trafficking coalitions and at conferences and meetings.
- Engage with media on anti-trafficking issues.
- Assist in coordinating anti-trafficking work, including weekly thematic calls, updates for the Board of Directors, etc.
Due to the collaborative nature of our work, the post holder will work with and support other teams, i.e. Legal Equality, End Sexual Violence and End Harmful Practices, as required by their Manager.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Law degree;
- 2+ years working on women’s rights, violence against women and/or anti- trafficking issues;
- Proven experience working on sex trafficking will be an added advantage;
- Fluent English required and strong working knowledge of Spanish preferred;
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights framework and relevant human rights mechanisms/instruments;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Experience working with the United Nations and Organization of American States;
- Previous experience developing written materials (analyses, reports, talking points, etc.);
- Experience in public speaking (e.g. presenting at conferences) and engaging with the media (e.g. giving interviews);
- Proven ability to work as part of a global and remote team; and,
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse range of partners and colleagues
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications, skills, and experience to email@example.com with Program Officer - Americas in the subject. Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered. The deadline for applications is close of business on Friday, 10 March 2017.