Temporary Donor Relations Manager
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and ending Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage".
Equality Now is seeking a fundraiser with experience securing five-figure gifts from individuals to serve in a full-time, temporary role. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will be a key member of the organization’s development team and manage a portfolio of individual donors and prospects and support the cultivation of new relationships. This position will be based in our New York office and works with staff across the organization. The duration of this contract is for a period of four months.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious fundraiser who enjoys working directly with donors and is eager to advance women’s rights and make the world better for women and girls.
- Maintain and manage an existing portfolio of 40-50 donors of Equality Now (primarily made up of individuals, corporations and related family foundations);
- Solicit gifts directly, collaborating with colleagues to frame the best and most compelling ask in alignment with organizational priorities;
- Attend donor meetings and implement cultivation activities, either personally or by providing appropriate support to Equality Now executives and program staff, to qualify donors, renew gifts, increase giving, steward donors, and secure first time gifts;
- Accurately track stewardship needs for individual donors in existing portfolio, developing written and other materials as needed to attract and maintain support;
- Conduct background research on current and prospective supporters;
- Contribute to fundraising strategy discussions;
- Provide support to increase corporate support to Equality Now through research and discovery conversations;
- Provide support in the planning and preparation of the 2018 Equality Now Gala and solicit sponsorship sales as needed;
- Institutionalize knowledge about donor relationships using Raiser’s Edge and other available systems;
- Travel locally and regionally up to 50%, and work evenings and weekends as necessary;
- Develop a robust network of programmatic, finance, communications, and philanthropy colleagues to achieve all required outcomes;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, with at least two years’ experience focused on growing and securing support from high-capacity individuals;
- A proven track record of closing gifts of $10-25K or more;
- Track record of accomplishment in achieving fundraising and/or business goals;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented, able to set priorities, highly organized;
- Willingness to pitch in and do what’s needed to accomplish goals;
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented, highly organized;
- Advanced interpersonal skills, able to work effectively and respectfully in a fast-paced environment
- with diverse co-workers in a relatively small organization and with colleagues internationally;
- Ability to travel when needed;
- Sense of humor;
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Experience with (or willingness to learn and utilize) Moves Management;
- Experience in closing gifts of up to $100K and multi-year commitments;
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft office and donor research techniques;
- Cross-cultural/international experience;
- Some prior knowledge of or experience in the human rights sector.
Send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Temporary Donor Relations Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please. This is a 4-month contract position.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.