Senior Campaign Strategist (MENA)
The Senior Campaign Strategist will play a pivotal role in coordinating and developing Equality Now’s work in the Middle East & North Africa (MENA). S\he will be responsible for mapping clear advocacy strategies for legal change (at the local, regional, and international levels when necessary), design them and implement them with relevant key stakeholders. S/he reports to the Regional Director in the MENA office.
About Equality Now
Equality Now is an established international legal advocacy organization that works for the protection and promotion of women and girls’ human rights around the world. Working with grassroots and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and girls and mobilizes international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. Our work currently focuses on four program areas: Legal Equality, Ending Sexual Violence, Ending Harmful Practices and Ending Sex Trafficking and has a cross cutting focus on Adolescent Girls. We work globally and have offices in Europe, the Americas, Africa and MENA , and a presence in south Asia.
Equality Now is committed to a dispersed leadership approach to our work. Our work is organized around a wide portfolio of campaigns that contribute to the achievement of our strategic plan. These campaigns fall within four thematic areas - legal equality, access to justice for sexual violence, ending sex trafficking and ending harmful practices.
• Map out clear advocacy pathways and strategies (with a focus on the MENA), monitor progress and advise on adaptation
• Map context and key stakeholders, including those most affected
• Identify a diversity of key allies and design and implement strategies to engage them
• Identify potential opposition and design and implement strategies to manage them
• Identify key relationships and develop strategies for engagement
• Facilitate the building of momentum with key influencers at local, national, regional and international levels, and map movement development
• Develop effective mutually respectful partnerships with clearly articulated change aspirations, roles and mutual accountability
• Convene stakeholders and establish coalition(s) with shared purpose – movement building
• Facilitate strategy review and adaptation with the campaign team, partners, coalitions and key collaborators
• Facilitate opportunities and platforms for those most affected to be heard, using an intersectional approach
• Identify opportunities in national, regional and international mechanisms, foster relationships and facilitate engagement processes
• Commission creative advocacy resources
• Collaborate with Equality Now’s media and communications teams to provide content emerging from our work in the MENA
• Participate in and contribute to Equality Now staff meetings including relevant thematic groups discussions
• Document all of the above
Skills and competencies
● A masters degree in the Social Sciences or similar, relevant discipline OR equivalent experience in gender & human rights advocacy
● Ten years relevant professional experience in analysis and strategy development
● Ten years professional experience in human rights, women’s rights, social development, international advocacy or international law as they relate to the MENA
● Expertise in one or more of our programme areas (Sexual violence, Sex trafficking, Legal Equality, etc).
● Experience in strategic advocacy at the national and regional levels
● Proven experience in building and maintaining networks and partnerships, coalitions and movements
● Demonstrated commitment to human rights with a focus on women’s human rights and gender equality, using an intersectional approach
● Ability to work as part of a team and across teams and collaborate respectfully
to achieve shared goals
● Experience in proposal development and grants delivery
● Experience in budgeting and project management
● Experience in monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
● Strong organization and planning skills with a drive for results, outcomes and impact
● Evidence of skills in communications for change
● Willingness and ability to travel regionally & internationally
● Excellent English and Arabic language skills (French is a plus)
• Training/facilitation skills
• Connection to existing networks with feminist and women’s rights organizations in the MENA
• Experience engaging with the media in the MENA
To apply: Send CV, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 17 June 2019 with Senior Campaign Strategist (MENA)) in the subject line.
No calls please.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Lebanon.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.DOWNLOAD PDF