Senior Program Officer (MENA)
The Senior Program Officer will play a pivotal role in coordinating and developing Equality Now’s work in the Middle East & North Africa (MENA). Under the supervision of the Regional Director, s\he will be responsible for mapping clear advocacy strategies for legal change (at the local, regional, and international levels when necessary). S/he will provide program management support and coordination in planning, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of assigned project activities. S/he will report to the Regional Director in the MENA office.
About Equality Now
Equality Now is an established international legal advocacy organization that works for the protection and promotion of women and girls’ human rights around the world. Working with grassroots and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and girls and mobilizes international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. Our work currently focuses on four program areas: Legal Equality, Ending Sexual Violence, Ending Harmful Practices and Ending Sex Trafficking and has a cross cutting focus on Adolescent Girls. We work globally and have offices in Europe, the Americas, Africa and MENA , and a presence in south Asia.
Equality Now is committed to a dispersed leadership approach to our work. Our work is organized around a wide portfolio of campaigns that contribute to the achievement of our strategic plan. These campaigns fall within four thematic areas - legal equality, access to justice for sexual violence, ending sex trafficking and ending harmful practices.
- Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes related actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions
- Maps out clear advocacy strategies (with a focus on the MENA), monitors progress and advises on adaptation depending on national & regional context
- Identifies a diversity of key allies in the campaigns and designs and implements strategies to engage them
- Facilitates the building of momentum with key influencers at local, national, regional and international levels
- Directs programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources
- Assists the Regional Director in the development of program strategies, subproject documents, work plans and budgets as necessary
- Assists in the review and finalization of donor reports
- Supervises the work of implementing partners in tracking and following up on work plans, budgets and deliverables for each assigned project
- Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization
- Collaborates with Equality Now’s media and communications teams to provide content emerging from our work in the MENA
- Participates in and contributes to Equality Now staff meetings including relevant thematic groups discussions
- Documents all of the above
- May perform other duties as required.
Skills and competencies
- A masters degree in the Social Sciences or similar, relevant discipline OR equivalent experience in gender & human rights advocacy
- Ten years relevant professional experience in analysis and strategy development
- Ten years professional experience in human rights, women’s rights, social development, international advocacy or international law as they relate to the MENA
- Expertise in one or more of our programme areas (Sexual violence, Sex trafficking, Legal Equality, etc).
- Experience in strategic advocacy at the national and regional levels
- Proven experience in building and maintaining networks and partnerships, coalitions and movements
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights with a focus on women’s human rights and gender equality, using an intersectional approach
- Ability to work as part of a team and across teams and collaborate respectfully to achieve shared goals
- Experience in proposal development and grants delivery
- Experience in budgeting and project management
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong organization and planning skills with a drive for results, outcomes and impact
- Evidence of skills in communications for change
- Willingness and ability to travel regionally & internationally
- Excellent English and Arabic language skills (French is a plus)
- Training/facilitation skills
- Connection to existing networks with feminist and women’s rights organizations in Africa
- Experience engaging with the media in the MENA
To apply: Send CV, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 15 August 2019 with Senior Program Officer (MENA) in the subject line.
No calls please.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Lebanon.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.DOWNLOAD PDF