Regional Director - Middle East and North Africa Region
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Equality Now, an international human rights organization working for the protection and promotion of the rights of women and girls worldwide, is looking for an experienced professional for the newly-established full-time post of Regional Director of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
The MENA Regional Director will launch Equality Now’s office in Beirut, recruit and manage a team of two program officers and an office manager, and lead a flagship multi-country program advocating for gender equality in the region. S/He will be a member of Equality Now’s Global Strategy Group alongside the Regional Directors of Africa, Europe and America, and the Directors of Programs, Communications, and Development.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and ending Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage".
Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
Guided by Equality Now’s strategic plan and organizational policies, the MENA Regional Director will play a leading role in defining and implementing strategies in support of women’s rights in the region. S/he will continue building and expanding Equality Now’s network of partners, policymakers, activists, scholars, and the media. S/he will work closely with colleagues across Equality Now’s Regional Offices in Africa, Europe, and America to build impactful collaborative initiatives and advocacy campaigns towards the achievement of systemic change for gender equality. More specifically, the MENA Regional Director will be responsible to deliver on three main work streams:
- Stay abreast of significant developments and trends in the region on all issues related to women’s rights, and identify short and long term strategic priorities and action plans;
- Lead and guide response to urgent and emerging issues with strategic immediate actions;
- Maintain relations with local, regional and international NGOs, activists, lawyers, and key stakeholders to advance successful implementation of Equality Now's strategic plan;
- Cultivate local partnerships and develop regional networks for joint interventions and strategic collaborations;
- Provide leadership and vision for the programs team to ensure effective and timely action plans;
- Consult with women’s rights groups, inter-regional entities, and relevant civil society organizations to determine value added to existing efforts and provide required support accordingly;. Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional and international NGOs and key stakeholders to advance implementation of Equality Now's strategic plan.
- Provide leadership and strengthen collaboration with and represent Equality Now on international, regional and national women’s groups and networks
Representation, Partnerships, and Fundraising
- Represent Equality Now in the MENA region and serve as its spokesperson, including with the media, government officials, and at high-level meetings and conferences;
- Lead Equality Now’s regional and national workshops and convenings, and bring women’s issues and gender related priorities to the forefront regionally and globally;
- Represent Equality Now in the region and representing regional women’s rights issues globally;
- Guide and lead Equality Now’s public messages in the MENA region, including through its Arabic website;
- Identify and liaise with donors and foundations, and cultivate new funding relationships and opportunities
- Collaborate closely with Program Managers and Development Team to guide and support grant proposals, report on active grants, and oversee outreach activities in the region;
- Prepare an annual assessment report of funding opportunities, achievements, and shortcomings.
Regional office management, governance, and leadership
- Manage, oversee, and report on all financial, administrative, and human resource matters related to regional office operations;
- Ensure organizational compliance with Lebanese laws and policies, and follow up on all necessary requirements related to the registration and operation of Equality Now in Lebanon;
- Engage and supervise consultants and interns as needed;
- Liaise regularly with Finance and Administration staff based in New York on matters related to office operations.
The ideal candidate for the position of MENA Regional Director is a passionate and dynamic advocate who understands how to make change happen at all policy, legal, and societal levels. S/he is an exceptional strategist and networker who can successfully strengthen the presence of Equality Now in the region and ensure the effectiveness of its mission. Specific requirements include:
- Graduate degree in social sciences, law, women’s studies, international relations, or relevant fields (professional background in international law is a plus);
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working at regional level on women’s and girls’ rights (preferably with an international organization);
- At least 5 years senior management experience (experience of working across regions and time zones is a plus);
- Experience working with civil society and governments, particularly in the MENA region (knowledge of the UN System is a plus);
- Strong writing, presentation, and communication skills;
- Contacts and experience with donors, fundraising, grant proposals and reporting;
- Experience setting up a new office and team highly desirable;
- Proven records of advocacy and outreach experience;
- Strong representation, networking and facilitation skills;
- Knowledge of the Middle East, gender related issues, international and regional human rights framework, and relevant human rights mechanisms/instruments;
- Fluency in Arabic and English ( French is a plus);
- Financial management experience;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Professionalism and integrity in representing the organization and its work;
- Ability to travel regularly within the region, and internationally (3 - 4 trips per year).
Please send a résumé, cover letter detailing skills and relevant experience, and the names and details of three references to email@example.com with the subject line "Regional Director - MENA." Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Application deadline is February 28, 2018.
No calls please. Equality Now will unfortunately only be able to respond to short-listed candidates.