Program Officer - End Sexual Violence
Based in: New York, NY
Reports to: End Sexual Violence, Program Manager
Equality Now, an international human rights organization dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women and girls globally, is seeking a Program Officer for the End Sexual Violence Program. The End Sexual Violence program works towards increased legal protection through impact litigation and reform; working with partners to enhance capacity to address rights; and greater visibility and public policy impact of cases, nationally, regionally and internationally.
The Program Officer, End Sexual Violence (ESV) is based in New York, NY and is a member of the global End Sexual Violence team. Reporting to the End Sexual Violence Program Manager, the Program Officer will work closely with other team staff and is also expected to appropriately coordinate efforts with staff from other Equality Now teams. A percentage of time may be dedicated to other teams as determined by program needs.
Since 1992, Equality Now has been using the law to protect and promote thehuman rights of women and girls around the world. With partners and supportersin nearly every country in the world, and staff in New York, London, Nairobi, Amman and Washington, D.C., Equality Now advocates locally, nationally and internationally to advance Legal Equality and Justice for Girls, and to End Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage."
Scope of Work
The Program Officer works in close partnership with local organizations in the Americas to provide advice and carry out legal research, litigation activities, and administration of campaigns under the End Sexual Violence program. This role supports Equality Now and its partners to expose violations primarily against adolescent girls as the first step to ensuring that they are addressed and perpetrators and governments are held accountable. The Program Officer works in close collaboration with the ESV team to advance comprehensive advocacy, including with regional and international human rights bodies. In coordination with the ESV team, the Program Officer presses for change during case development, formal proceedings, and after a decision has been delivered to ensure laws and systemic protections for adolescent girls are properly implemented. The Program Officer will help ensure close alignment with these objectives as well as integration with other program areas and overarching program strategy. The Program Officer will also provide support to other program teams as needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Officer will perform the following duties in the areas of campaign and strategic impact litigation development, campaign management and partnership-building. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Under the guidance of the Program Manager, the Program Officer promotes comprehensive legal frameworks with a particular focus on campaigns in the Americas. Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Build upon and developing regional and international campaigns that contribute to a world free from sexual violence for adolescent girls;
- Work with partners to identify potential cases of violations of adolescent girls’ rights for strategic impact litigation and/or advocacy campaigns using Equality Now’s criteria for selection of cases and make recommendations as appropriate;
- Identify and work together with local partners to better understand adolescent girls’ vulnerabilities and incorporate those experiences in advocacy campaign development as well as liaise for programming under The GENEROSITY of GIRLS Fund;
- Develop litigation and advocacy campaign strategies with partners and participate in/advise with the goal of setting good precedents;
- Conduct legal research and analysis of relevant legal standards; and
- Draft submissions to regional and international human rights bodies.
The Program Officer will also work to ensure monitoring, evaluation, learning, and reporting for major ESV program projects. This will require close tracking of program goals and ensuring milestones are reached in various projects. Specific tasks will include:
- Prepare and follow work plans in line with ESV program’s strategy;
- Work with partners and internal staff to ensure that activities are monitored and evaluated as needed;
- Draft actions, letters, and posts (media and/or blogs) for review that are in line with ESV program campaigns, updating actions as needed;
- Identify and raise awareness around the gaps and challenges that prevent or limit girls’ access to justice and work with partners to address these;
- Carry out research in collaboration with partners in relation to ESV program campaigns;
- Work with Equality Now’s media and development teams to raise public awareness and keep donors updated as needed;
- Provide timely and accurate reports on activities, including learning, to inform future activities and achieve project objectives. Perform any other duties as required to accomplish the goals of the program team.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Candidates must have a minimum of an Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in law and the certification to practice law
- Minimum of three (3) years relevant professional experience
- Fluency in English and Spanish are required with additional preference for another language competency
- Strong analytical skills and excellent written and oral communication
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights with a focus on women’s human rights and gender equality and an understanding of the experiences and needs of adolescent girls; specialization in international human rights law will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work as part of a team and across teams and collaborate respectfully to achieve shared goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong organization and planning skills with a drive for results
- Proven experience building and maintaining networks
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation, and learning is an advantage
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered.
Please send resume and cover letter in a single PDF file detailing why you should be considered for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should read “Program Officer – ESV Application: [First Name], [Last Name].”
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equality Now provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, veteran status or disability.