We are seeking a dynamic consultant with the head of a lawyer and heart of an activist to further develop our work and partnerships in the Americas. The consultant will collaborate with and report to the Americas Director and also work closely with the Director of Programmes to advance Equality Now’s work and its impact in the region.
Since 1992, Equality Now has been using the law to protect and promote thehuman rights of women and girls around the world. With partners and supporters in nearly every country in the world, and staff in New York, London, Nairobi, Amman and Washington, D.C., Equality Now advocates locally, nationally and internationally to advance Legal Equality and Justice for Girls, and to End Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage."
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Map the key organizations, networks and thought leaders in target countries (e.g. Bolivia, Brazil, and Paraguay) and the region working on women and girls’ rights and identify priority issues
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships to advance and strengthen our impact in target countries and the region
- Increase and develop Equality Now’s presence and legal advocacy in target countries and the region, including representing Equality Now in networks and coalitions, regional and national platforms (civil society and government), meetings and events, as required
- Identify legal gaps and challenges and cases for strategic litigation in program areas in target countries
- Work with existing partners and implement current campaigns across program areas
- Work with Equality Now Program and Communication teams to draft and review actions, updates, and member outreach
- Expand and strengthen Equality Now membership in the region
- Represent Equality Now in local, regional and international media, and write briefs, blogs posts and other materials on developments in the region, as needed
- Work with Equality Now Development team to help identify and support fundraising opportunities for the region
- Contribute to Equality Now strategic planning processes
- Maintain clear records for monitoring and evaluation and reporting to Equality Now
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Significant knowledge of the region and the context for women and girls’ rights
- Experience with regional and international human rights treaties and mechanisms, including Organization of American States, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the UN
- Keen analytical legal skills
- Excellent oral and written English, Spanish and Portuguese communication skills required, with an eye for detail
- Clear and concise communication style
- Ability to articulate complex ideas simply to a range of audiences and take ideas from development through to fruition
- A flair for networking, collaboration and bringing people together in common cause
- Existing contacts with organizations and networks in the region, including civil society and bar associations, useful to advancing work on women and or human rights
- Ability to work well as a member of a geographically dispersed team
- A self-starter with the maturity to operate in a variety of environments
- A sense of humour is much appreciate
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate qualification in a relevant area (such as law, public policy, Latin American studies, human rights or gender issues) or proven experience in a related field. Law degree strongly preferred.
- At least 6 years of experience working in the legal, human rights or women’s rights field; or equivalent experience that would enhance Equality Now’s contribution to the protection and promotion of women and girls’ rights in the region
The position would work remotely and would include approved travel in the region and occasionally to an Equality Now office. The consultancy is for an initial one-year period, with the possibility of renewal, depending on the external demand and position-holder’s performance.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and a writing sample in English to: email@example.com with “Americas Consultant” in the subject line. Include availability and expected remuneration in the letter. No calls please.We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.