The Legal Adviser will enable Equality Now to bring about gender equality in the law, prevent gender based harms, and enable access to justice for victims and survivors of gender based discrimination and abuse.
Equality Now is an international legal advocacy organization that seeks to protect and promote women and girls’ rights around the world. Working with grassroots organizations, human rights organizations, and individual activists, Equality Now uses the law to promote gender equality. We do this by challenging laws that discriminate against or increase the vulnerability of women and girls and promoting laws that would protect their wellbeing. Through such legal and systemic change, we hope to realize a world in which women and girls live as equal citizens, free from violence, discrimination, and exploitation.
Equality Now’s work currently focuses on four programmatic areas: legal equality, ending sexual violence, ending harmful practices, and ending sex trafficking. We have offices in New York, London, Nairobi, and Beirut and a presence in India and the Republic of Georgia. For more information about our programs, please visit www.equalitynow.org.
The Legal Adviser will enable Equality Now to bring about gender equality in the law, prevent gender based harms, and enable access to justice for victims and survivors of gender based discrimination and abuse. This position is a maternity cover and will extend for up to twelve months.
- Support the shaping and implementation of Equality Now’s campaigns to promote legal equality and an end to sexual violence
- Prepare, make and track high quality submissions to regional and international human rights bodies and public consultations and coordinate colleagues across the organization to make timely submissions to the UN.
- Support case development
- Initiate, contribute to and/or oversee the drafting and preparation of legal documents (eg strategic litigation, amicus briefs, regional or international court submissions etc) and advocacy letters to government authorities
- Identify opportunities to lever change through international and regional law
- Provide legal research, analysis and recommendations on strategy
- Deliver training on law and gender implications
- Facilitate litigation surgeries
- Develop and maintain close ties with a range of legal actors and civil society partners to share information, seek input and/or encourage joint action
- Engage through correspondence and meetings with relevant government and agency officials on active campaigns promoting legal equality and an end to sexual violence globally and leverage the support of global and regional actors for Equality Now’s campaigns
- Represent Equality Now in coalitions and at conferences and meetings
- Work with the Communications Team to generate key messages for communications, actions, alerts and reports and letters to key influencers and government authorities
- Engage with the media on women’s equality issues as they pertain to legal equality and ending sexual violence
- Manage pro bono research and inputs
- Coordinate and work closely with all teams across the organization as guided by the Global Leads and ensure clear and consistent communications and coordination of work
- Document the legal and campaign process and any progress and ensure excellent record keeping
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Knowledge and experience
- Five years of professional experience in human rights, women’s rights, international advocacy or international law
- An advanced degree in law or equivalent experience in women’s rights or international human rights
- Knowledge of and/or experience in international and/or regional human rights law/frameworks
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication in English
- Strong organizational and planning skills with a drive for results
- Proven experience building and maintaining networks
- Other language competency welcomed, with a preference for Arabic, French, Spanish or Russian
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning would be an asset
- Ability to work effectively online in a dispersed organization
- Ability to work as part of a team and across teams and collaborate respectfully to achieve shared goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
- Diligent in documentation and reporting, with an eye to effective knowledge management and information accessibility
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally, depending on the pandemic situation
- Willingness and ability to engage in public speaking and to represent Equality Now at external meetings and in the media
- A sense of humour is much appreciated
This position can be done remotely, but preferred locations are close to an Equality Now office (currently New York, London, Beirut, and Nairobi).
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected] with the position title in the subject line. No calls please. The deadline to apply is midnight EDT on October 28, 2020.
Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national, ethnic, or social origin, disability, language, marital status, pregnancy, HIV status, age, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. Candidates must meet current requirements for employment in their preferred work location.