Institutional Development Manager
Equality Now is seeking a fundraising professional with experience securing and managing grants to expand support from foundations and bilateral/government funders at the 6- and 7-figure level.
Equality Now is seeking a fundraising professional with experience securing and managing grants to expand support from foundations and bilateral/government funders at the 6- and 7-figure level. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned fundraiser who is eager to advance women’s rights and make the world better for women and girls. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will work closely with program, communications, and finance staff across the organization as well as executive leadership, and manage a Grants Officer currently based in our Nairobi office.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and End Harmful Practices, End Sex Trafficking, and End Sexual Violence.
- Expand Equality Now’s institutional funding portfolio by securing new grants, with a focus on programs and regions not already resourced through existing grants;
- Work with program staff to inform the development of narratives that frame the best and most compelling ask in alignment with organizational priorities
- Work closely with finance colleagues to inform the development of budgets both for proposal submissions and accurate reporting of how funds have been used
- Serve as the relationship manager for an existing portfolio of institutional donors, developing and executing on cultivation and stewardship strategies;
- Ensure a robust pipeline of institutional funder prospects by leading active and consistent research and qualification efforts, including regular meetings with the Global Executive Director to advance relationships;
- Effectively manage a Grants Officer to enhance Equality Now’s capacity to successfully secure support from institutional funders;
- Support the Director of Development to drive clarity in roles and responsibilities across departments around the process of developing proposals and reports and ensure appropriate stakeholders are engaged throughout the process;
- Inform the development of annual and multi-year institutional funding projections;
- Institutionalize knowledge about donor relationships and funding opportunities using Raiser’s Edge NXT;
- Proactively track trends in institutional funding and monitoring giving to like-minded organizations to inform Equality Now’s overall institutional funding strategy;
- Develop a robust network of programmatic, finance, communications, and development colleagues to achieve all required outcomes; and
- Travel both locally and internationally to support program development and build new relationships.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, with at least three years’ experience focused on growing and securing support from high-capacity institutional funders;
- A proven track record of closing large foundation gifts of $50,000 or more;
- Exceptional writer, able to distill and organize complex ideas for various audiences;
- Advanced interpersonal skills, able to work effectively, collaboratively and respectfully in a fast-paced environment with diverse co-workers in a relatively small organization and with colleagues internationally;
- Able to work and thrive as part of a distributed team;
- Motivated self-starter;
- Track record of accomplishment in achieving fundraising and/or business goals;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Results-oriented, able to effectively manage complex processes, highly organized;
- Some prior knowledge of or experience in the human rights and/or international development sectors;
- Experience with (or willingness to learn and utilize) Moves Management;
- Experience in closing gifts of $100K or more and multi-year commitments;
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge NXT, Microsoft office and donor research techniques; and
- Cross-cultural/international experience.
The ideal candidate will have proximity to Equality Now’s London office, but we also have offices in New York and Nairobi. Remote candidates from other locations will also be considered.
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to: email@example.com with “Institutional Development Manager” in the subject line. No calls please. The deadline to apply is September 18, 2020, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health, and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national, ethnic, or social origin, disability, language, marital status, pregnancy, HIV status, age, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. Candidates must meet current requirements for employment in their preferred work location.