Gloria Steinem Turns 85: 10 Quotes From The Frontlines of the Fight For Equality
Equality Now is honored to count Gloria Steinem as one of our board members and for her support of our work since our organization’s beginning almost 27 years ago. In so many ways, we couldn’t have made it this far without her. On the occasion of Gloria’s 85th birthday, we are sharing some of our favorite quotes from her more than half a century helping to lead the fight for women’s equality—words all of us can live by. Happy Birthday, Gloria!
1. "Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood."
2. "We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud."
3. "The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day; a movement is only people moving."
4. "The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn."
5. "If you say, I'm for equal pay, that's a reform. But if you say, I'm a feminist, that's a transformation of society."
6. "We'll never solve the feminization of power until we solve the masculinity of wealth."
7. "Empathy is the most radical of human emotions."
8. "Women have two choices: Either she's a feminist or a masochist."
9. "I never wanted to be a politician or elected person myself, so I loved to work for other women who did—and hope that more girls will do that. The problem is the feeling that we're divided from politics, that our vote doesn't count or what we do doesn't count. In fact, everything we do counts."
10. "Now we know that, say, women can do what men can do—most folks would agree with that. But we don't know that men could do what women can do."
Need more Gloria in your day? Watch Gloria Steinem taking the stage at our 25th Anniversary Gala.