Reports to: Director, Europe office
Equality Now, an international human rights organisation which uses the law and legal instruments in its advocacy to end violence and discrimination against women and girls globally, is seeking a consultant to develop its work and partnerships in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus and Central Asia. The consultant will report to the Director of the Europe office and work closely with the Director of the Europe office and the Director of Programmes to advance the work and its growth in the region.
Since 1992, Equality Now has been using the law to protect and promote thehuman rights of women and girls around the world. With partners and supporters in nearly every country in the world, and staff in New York, London, Nairobi, Amman and Washington, D.C., Equality Now advocates locally, nationally and internationally to advance Legal Equality and Justice for Girls, and to End Sex Trafficking, Sexual Violence and Harmful Practices, including female genital mutilation (FGM) and "child marriage."
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop contacts and review partnerships in the region that will assist Equality Now in its outreach, advocacy and ability to make a difference
- Map and assess the work of women’s and other groups in the region working on women and girls’ rights and identify their priorities with respect to advocacy
- Identify key national and regional opportunities and platforms for engagement, documenting if and where Equality Now would add value
- Draft costed programmatic plans in collaboration with programme teams, the Director of Programme and the Director of the Europe office, setting out key milestones and steps for implementation
- Contribute her/his expertise to guide and inform strategic discussions
- Create and foster supportive relationships to advance the work in the region
- Help identify and develop fundraising opportunities
- Develop and maintain all records for clear reporting to Equality Now
Required qualifications, skills and abilities
- At least six years experience working in the legal, human rights or women’s rights field; or equivalent experience that would enhance Equality Now’s contribution to the protection and promotion of women’s rights in the region
- Significant knowledge of the region and its women’s rights context
- Legal analytical skills
- Knowledge of human rights mechanisms and regional and international treaty bodies and their mechanisms
- Proven research skills would be welcome
- Proficiency in one or more languages from the region
- Ability to communicate verbally and in written English
- Clear and concise writing style
- Ability to articulate complex ideas simply to a range of audiences
- Ability to facilitate ideas development processes through to fruition
- A heart for activism
- A flair for networking, collaboration and bringing people together in common cause
- Existing contacts and networks in the region useful to advance work in the field of women and or human rights
- Ability to work well as a member of a geographically dispersed team
- A self-starter with the maturity to operate in a variety of environments
- Sense of humour appreciated
- Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience; law or international legal studies strongly preferred
- Completion of a master's degree or equivalent at an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience
The position would work remotely and would include travel in the region and occasionally to an Equality Now office. The consultancy is for an initial one-year period.
Application is by CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed from 1 December 2017.
Equality Now provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, veteran status or disability.