Consultancy: Baseline Study Support
Equality Now seeks expressions of interest to support the development of baseline data for the project – All for Maputo Protocol Initiative.
Equality Now seeks expressions of interest from consultants to support the development of baseline data for the project – All for Maputo Protocol Initiative.
The overall goal of the project is that “The rights of women and girls under the Maputo Protocol are promoted and protected and any violations are remedied”. To that end, Equality Now and Solidarity for African Women’s Rights (SOAWR) Coalition are using a range of approaches including the popularisation of the Maputo Protocol with the aim of creating greater public awareness and pressure on governments to ratify, domesticate and implement the protocol (Project Short Term Outcome 2).
We now wish to hire a consultant to assist us in developing the baseline for this outcome, helping us to determine the current level of awareness and agreement by national opinion leaders and women members of the general public in target countries with key provisions of the Maputo Protocol.
Equality Now, is an international women’s rights organization founded in 1992 that works to achieve legal and systemic changes that addresses violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world, with a focus on ending Sexual violence, Harmful practices (FGM and CEFM), Discrimination in Law and Sex Trafficking. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, Equality Now’s approach links high level policy advocacy and global activism with support and legal advice to grassroots partners and networks working on specific cases of women and girls in order to promote change at all levels.
Equality Now’s Africa Office convenes the SOAWR Coalition, a regional network comprised of over 60 national, regional and international civil society organizations based in 32 countries in Africa. Since its inauguration in 2004, SOAWR’s main area of focus has been to advocate for African States to urgently sign, ratify, domesticate and implement the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (the “Maputo Protocol”) as a critical tool to realize the human rights of women and girls.
In December 2018, the African Union Women Gender and Development Directorate, in collaboration with SOAWR and others launched the All for Maputo Protocol Programme, an AU Programme which seeks to accelerate the ratification, domestication and implementation of the Protocol. The AU programme will run from 2019-2029. As its contribution to the achievement of this AU Programme, SOAWR has adopted the same objectives under the project “All for Maputo Protocol Initiative” which is being supported from November 2019 to December 2023 by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA). The All for Maputo Protocol Initiative forms a major part of the SOAWR Strategic Plan 2020-2024.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Working closely with Equality Now’s Programme Monitoring Evaluation Knowledge and Information Manager and the Project Lead, the consultant shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Identify SOAWR members who will take part in the study.
- Design tools including a survey of key informants and public online surveys and/or focus group guidelines.
- Train and support SOAWR members to administer the tools.
- Compile and analyse responses to the surveys and focus groups collected by the SOAWR members.
- Prepare a short report summarizing the results of the study in terms of project indicator S2.1: Level of awareness and agreement by national opinion leaders and women from the general public in target countries with key provisions of the Protocol.
DURATION, LOCATION AND TIMETABLE
This consultancy is expected to require approximately 10 to 12 working days. Data collection should be completed by the 19th of March 2021 and the draft report presented by March 31st, 2021 at the latest.
It is anticipated that all work will be conducted remotely via email and online communication platforms such as Skype and Zoom so candidates are welcome from any location. If the consultant is resident in Kenya or elsewhere in Africa there may be some opportunity for face-to-face contact with the Project Lead (based in Nairobi) and/or some members of SOAWR.
- Proven experience conducting baseline studies and/or evaluations of projects and programmes.
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods for social programmes and projects.
- Understanding and experience in relation to women’s rights and public policy.
- Excellent report writing.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience in conducting public opinion surveys using online tools.
- Experience working with African women’s rights organisations.
- Fluent spoken and written French.
SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Interested individual consultants should present their proposals including confirmation of their availability during the implementation period and the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Financial offer (Daily rate and expenses)
- A minimum of two samples of written work that demonstrate the expertise and experience of the consultant in the essential and desirable areas as outlined above.
Applications that do not include all the above will not be considered.
Proposals should be sent by email to Mike Clulow, Programme Monitoring Evaluation Knowledge and Information Manager - [email protected] – and be received by 13:00 GMT on Thursday 4th February, 2021.
Please note that Equality Now will only be able to respond to short-listed candidates.DOWNLOAD PDF