Communications Officer, New York
Equality Now seeks a creative, well-connected and self-starting Communications Officer to support the advocacy and fundraising objectives of our Program and Development teams.
About Equality Now
Equality Now is an international legal advocacy organization that seeks to protect and promote women and girls’ rights around the world. Working with grassroots organisations, human rights organisations, and individual activists, Equality Now uses the law to promote gender equality. We do this by challenging laws that discriminate against or increase the vulnerability of women and girls and promoting laws that would protect their wellbeing. Through such legal and systemic change, we hope to realize a world in which women and girls live as equal citizens, free from violence, discrimination, and exploitation.
Equality Now’s work currently focuses on four programmatic areas: legal equality, ending sexual violence, ending harmful practices, and ending sex trafficking. We have offices in New York, London, Nairobi, and Beirut and a presence in India, China, and the Republic of Georgia. For more information about our programs, please visit www.equalitynow.org.
About the Position
If you want to work for a dynamic and international organization making a tangible difference around the world, we’d love to speak with you. Equality Now seeks a passionate, creative, well-connected, and self-starting Communications Officer to support the advocacy and fundraising objectives of our Program and Development teams. Working within the Global Communications Team, and in close collaboration with the Senior Media Manager and Advocacy Campaign Manager, the Communications Officer will use social media and press coverage to expand issue and brand awareness and to educate and inspire target audiences. You will be helping to set the news agenda, working with some of the biggest media outlets in the world.
*We would be open to speaking to candidates who would prefer a reduced and flexible working schedule.
- Work with the Communications and Development teams to develop campaign briefs, offering advice on media, public relations, social media plans, and how to deliver on campaign goals;
- Create key messaging documents for campaigns and stories;
- Contribute to and implement Equality Now’s social media strategy;
- Write high-quality editorial copy for a range of audiences and outlets;
- Proactively pitch and secure quality media coverage in a range of national and international outlets;
- Manage relationships with existing media partners and build new media contacts, stewarding a strong network of journalists in the Americas (North and South) to expand our media impact;
- Monitor and develop social media content.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience working in a professional media role
- Strong understanding of social media and direct experience of running social media channels in a professional setting
- Strong editorial judgment
- An understanding of human rights and a passion for social justice
- Demonstrable ability to produce strong and engaging communications content
- Brilliant copywriting skills
- The ability to translate complex content into compelling copy, adapting writing for a variety of audiences and platforms
- Experience conducting interviews with a range of people (from survivors to politicians)
- A demonstrable network of US journalist contacts
- Knowledge of brand and messaging principles
- Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe Photoshop or other visual program tools
- Able to use CMS, social media, and Email platform tools.
- Sense of humor, compassion, and willingness to see things from many cultural angles
- Detail oriented
How to Apply
To apply please send resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample to: [email protected] with the position title “Communications Officer, New York” in the subject line. No calls please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This is an exempt position according to the New York Fair Labor Standards Act. Equality Now is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, age, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. We would be open to speaking to candidates who would prefer a reduced and flexible working schedule.
Candidates must meet current US requirements for employment.