Communications Intern, Nairobi
Equality Now is offering a great opportunity to gain experience as an Intern with our Communications Team based in Kenya.
Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women and girls and promoting the use of the law to advance the rights of women and girls globally.
Our international network of lawyers, activists, and supporters achieve legal and systemic change by holding governments responsible for enacting, enforcing laws and policies that end legal inequality, sex trafficking, sexual violence, and harmful practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM) and child marriage. Equality Now’s Africa Office convenes the Solidarity for African Women’s Rights (SOAWR) Coalition, which advocates for the ratification, domestication and implementation of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (the “Protocol”) as a critical tool to realize the human rights of women and girls.
Are you passionate about human rights, motivated to make the world a better place for women and girls and ready to use communications and media to influence change? Equality Now is offering a great opportunity to gain experience as an Intern with our Communications Team based in Kenya. As a valued member of the team, you will be able to apply your existing skills and experience whilst developing your skill set and enhancing your CV by gaining first-hand knowledge on human rights issues affecting women and girls; advocacy campaigning; communications content creation; and public relations.
The Communications Intern role sits within Equality Now’s Africa office located in Nairobi and supports the implementation of the advocacy and media strategy in order to advance the programmatic aims of the organization and raise positive awareness about the work we do. The Communications Intern will report to the Africa office's Media Lead.
- Media mapping of countries and journalists
- Regularly updating the media contact spreadsheet
- Preparing journalist distribution lists
- Media monitoring and sharing daily stories of interest with Equality Now staff across the globe
- Assisting with managing Meltwater information and data
- Tracking and sharing media stories about women and girls rights that are relevant to Equality Now’s campaign work
- Assisting with social media on Facebook and Twitter
- Sourcing quotations from vendors
- Arranging logistics for partner communications and media related travel/trips
- Setting up meetings
- Documenting program events by taking minutes and pictures where necessary
- Writing up interviews and quotes
- Assisting with logging case studies and other gathered communication content
- Background research
- Filing and update Equality Now’s resource and publications repository
- Assisting with communications and media projects as assigned
- Regularly attend team and 1:1 meetings, and reporting on work
- Strong writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English
- Excellent attention to detail
- A demonstrable interest in human rights campaigning
- An interest in communications and external relations
- An interest in using social media as a communications and advocacy tool
- IT literate, with experience using Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to undertake research tasks independently
- Positive attitude, dependable and good sense of humor
- University degree or equivalent
- Should be creative and innovative
- An understanding of and commitment to Equality Now’s work and objectives
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Previous experience of working in an office environment
- Previous experience in communications and media
- Previous experience writing high-quality copy
- Good understanding of running social media channels
- Basic graphic design knowledge
This opportunity is for a period of four months with possibility of a further two months extension. There will be a monthly basic expenses allowance. Please note that this role is located in our Nairobi office and we are unable to arrange accommodation or visas.
Equality Now is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Kindly submit your application with a detailed CV and cover letter to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is July 24, 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be notified of interview date.