ACHIEVE LEGAL EQUALITY
A lack of legal equality promotes violence and discrimination, yet every country in the world has laws that treat women and girls as second-class citizens.
Why Legal Equality?
We believe that legal equality is the first step to gender equality.
A country’s laws set the tone for how it treats its people, and how its people treat each other. When women and girls have fewer rights than men and boys, violence and discrimination are legitimised and ignored.
Equal treatment under the law is fundamental to creating a happier, fairer, more prosperous world for everyone.
"Without equality in the law, there can never be equality in society."
- ANTONIA KIRKLAND, PROGRAM MANAGER, EQUALITY NOW
What are we doing to achieve it?
At Equality Now, we use a unique combination of legal advocacy, regional partnership-building and community mobilisation to encourage governments to adopt, improve and enforce laws that protect and promote the rights of women and girls around the world.
- Urging governments and policymakers to enact and enforce laws that promote equal rights for women and girls
- Holding governments accountable to international human rights standards
- Making the justice system works for women and girls
- Elevating cases to national, regional and international courts and bodies
- Inspiring people around the world to fight for equality