How to protect adolescent girls
Adolescent girls are particularly vulnerable to violence and abuse because of their limited legal rights and ability to protect themselves. Equality Now is the only international organization that uses strategic litigation (taking carefully-selected cases to court to set legal precedents) to protect girls’ rights. By successfully taking on the case of one girl, millions of girls in similar circumstances around the world can benefit.
Girls deserve the full protection of their governments, and support from their families and communities. Through our Adolescent Girls’ Legal Defense Fund, Equality Now supports individual cases that represent the most common and significant human rights violations of adolescent girls. Our main objectives are to:
- Make sure girls can seek justice and that the justice system works for them
- Set legal precedents to increase legal protections for girls
- Educate girls and their communities on girls’ rights
- Raise the visibility of local cases to intensify their national, regional and international impact
- Work with partners to strengthen communities' abilities to protect girls’ rights
- Mobilize our supporters to stand up for girls’ rights
Help create a world where girls can flourish free from discrimination and violence.
Equality for women begins with justice for girls. When a girl can grow up safe, happy and healthy with full enjoyment of her rights, she can grow to reach her full potential. When girls know their rights and are empowered to advocate for them, they can create real change in their own lives and for other girls like them.