Director of Development
Based in: New York
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious development professional with strategic management and team-building experience who is energized to work with a dedicated management team and an experienced fundraising team to grow a global women’s rights organization.
Reporting to the Global Executive Director, the Director of Development will be a member of Equality Now’s senior management team and will provide leadership, strategic direction and management for Equality Now’s growing development program. He/she will take charge of finalizing the development plan in the new Equality Now Strategic Plan (2017-2021), build a high performing team to increase and diversify financial support for all offices; manage and grow a portfolio of Major Donors, and work closely with the Regional Directors and communications and marketing team to lead the organization into a new era of donor outreach via public communications/ marketing strategy with the goal of better informing, engaging and influencing priority donor groups and further developing Equality Now’s Equality Action Network (comprised of activists and donors). The Director of Development will be based in New York and manage a team of five in New York, London and Nairobi.
Candidates should have substantial, broad-based fundraising experience, strong leadership skills, several years of management experience and be able to master Equality Now’s work.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now fights for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world through legal advocacy. Working with grassroots women’s and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes national and international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. The organization’s work is focused into four main program areas: Legal Equality, End Sexual Violence, End Harmful Practices, and End Sex Trafficking.
Equality Now is a global organization with regional offices in the Americas, Europe and Africa, and a presence in Amman, Jordan and Washington, D.C., Equality Now has a staff of 35, and is governed by an 11-member Board of Directors.
The board and staff are developing an ambitious strategic plan to deepen Equality Now’s impact 2017-2021 which includes a growth plan from $5.6 milllion to $8 million in the same period. This builds on the current funding trajectory of successful fund raising from institutional, individual and foundation donors. To capitalize on this trend current investment priorities include capacity building with a particular emphasis on expanding development and communications activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Development will have ongoing leadership and will manage a team of five across offices. His/her responsibilities include:
Development Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Serve as a strategic thought partner with the Global Executive Director, the management team and other staff;
- In partnership with the Global Executive Director, management team and development staff, coordinate and finalize the organization’s 2017-2021 development plan, including goals and strategies for institutional donors, major donors, individual donors, corporate donors and events; articulate clear benchmarks for progress; and identify and develop the partnerships, strategies and tools to implement these priorities;
- Maintain a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual and institutional donors; cultivate and directly solicit key donors and manage a growing portfolio of Major Donors and Major Donor Prospects, working with the Global Executive Director, key staff and board members, as appropriate;
- In partnership with the Global Executive Director, develop a strategy for board development, growth and involvement in fundraising;
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community, individual donors and board members; serve as a visible spokesperson and advocate for Equality Now’s mission and programs in the funding community;
- Manage and develop a growing portfolio of Corporate Partnerships; maximize the potential of third party partnerships to advance Equality Now’s mission and organizational goals;
- Work with development staff to recognize internal and external development opportunities, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them;
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization with regards to development.
Operations and Management
- Oversee the Institutional Giving Manager in developing and implementing a plan to grow institutional giving to resource the strategic vision of Equality Now’s four program areas (Legal Equality, End Sex Trafficking, End Sexual Violence and End Harmful Practices) , including plans and portfolios for each of the Regional Directors and the Global Executive Director; and integrate program goals and priorities into institutional fundraising goals and strategies;
- Oversee the Individual Giving and Events Manager in developing a strategy and plan for cultivation events, including critically Equality Now’s 25th anniversary event to be held in the fall of 2017; developing strategies to cultivate and grow individual donors including online donors, including through optimizing online fundraising capabilities and the development of new marketing and engagement initiatives (e.g. recurring giving program, peer-to-peer fundraising initiative), in close cooperation with the Communications and Marketing team;
- Train and supervise Individual Giving and Events Manager in Major Donor stewardship;
- Supervise prospect research and tracking; ensure that appropriate donor stewardship is consistently implemented;
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the development function including budgeting, planning and staff development;
- Inspire and support the development staff in their work, facilitating coordination and teamwork; ensure the team’s work is high-impact and strategically focused and in furtherance of the key performance indicators identified in the communications and development plan;
- Lead and supervise the development team in a fiscally sound manner and motivate them to strive for exemplary results; ensure that appropriate systems, tools and procedures are in place;
- Establish and implement systems focused on effective functioning of the development team across offices;
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals for all development staff
Desired Skills and Experience
The Director of Development should be an energetic, flexible, self-starting team player with the following experience and qualifications:
- At least 10 years of successful experience in development, ideally gained in the social justice advocacy/policy arena; credibility and experience to connect Equality Now to a range of resources and opportunities outside the organization;
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with the presence, credibility and skills to develop and sustain a broad range of relationships; highly developed listening skills;
- Successful experience raising money from a variety of sources, including major donors, special events, corporate partnerships and foundations;
- A strong track record developing and executing short- and long-range strategic plans to guide efforts;
- Experience working with diverse communities, ideally internationally, across race, class, ethnic, political and geographic boundaries;
- Creative thinker with insight into the rapidly changing fundraising environment
- A strong leader and mentor with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, with the ability to foster collaboration and contribute to building a strong sense of community among staff;
- A track record of good management skills and at least 5 years of management experience; and a team builder who motivates staff to strive for high level results;
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time and budget management skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail; a willingness to share in both ‘big picture’ thinking and administrative tasks;
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (an advanced degree is preferred); ability to travel internationally occasionally;
- Written and spoken Fluency in English; Fluency in Spanish, French and/or Arabic is desired.
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
To apply: send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the “Director of Development” in the subject line. No calls please.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.