Director of Communications and Marketing
Based in: New York or London
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious communications and marketing professional with strategic management and team-building experience who is energized to work with a dedicated management team and an experienced communications team who is eager to advance women rights.
The Director of Communications & Marketing will be based in our New York or London office and report directly to the Global Executive Director. He/she will be a crucial member of the Senior Management Team, providing leadership and strategic direction for communications, marketing and media, as well as public relations and internal communications to strengthen and facilitate organizational learning, knowledge sharing, and efficient operations. He/she will lead a team of 5 people across offices in New York, London and Nairobi and will have overarching responsibility for Equality Now’s broad range of communications strategies that promote the organization’s mission.
Candidates should have substantial, broad-based communications experience, preferably in social justice focused communications and marketing, several years of management experience and be able to master Equality Now’s work.
Founded in 1992, Equality Now fights for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world through legal advocacy. Working with grassroots women’s and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes national and international action to support efforts to stop these abuses. The organization’s work is focused into four main program areas: Legal Equality, End Sexual Violence, End Harmful Practices, and End Sex Trafficking.
Equality Now is a global organization with regional offices in the Americas, Europe and Africa, and a presence in Amman, Jordan and Washington, D.C., Equality Now has a staff of 35, and is governed by an 11-member Board of Directors.
The board and staff are developing an ambitious strategic plan to deepen Equality Now’s impact 2017-2021 which includes a growth plan from $5.6 milllion to $8 million in the same period. This builds on the current funding trajectory of successful fund raising from institutional, individual and foundation donors. To capitalize on this trend current investment priorities include capacity building with a particular emphasis on expanding development and communications activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Communications & Marketing will lead Equality Now's overall communications and marketing strategy to enhance the organization’s brand and authoritative voice, propel advocacy that advances the issues we champion, engage loyal stakeholders and build new constituencies, capture and package the impact of our programs, and inspire support for its mission. The Director of Communications & Marketing will head a team of five and his/her responsibilities will include:
Communications and Marketing Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and lead the implementation of an integrated strategic communications and marketing plan to advance Equality Now’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across growing audiences of key stakeholders in different countries.
- In close cooperation with the Director of Development and the fundraising team, create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Equality Now to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, external audiences, including the media and key influencers and oversee the implementation of this strategy.
- Applying an expert understanding of digital trends, lead on the development and execution of a bespoke digital marketing strategy with the primary goals of engaging constituents; attracting new audiences and achieving deeper engagement from existing supporters; growing Equality Now’s social media following; increasing online fundraising revenue; and building positive brand awareness.
- In close coordination with the Director of Programs, program and communications teams, oversee development of public advocacy strategies, actions and urgent alerts; oversee media and social media planning, tracking, reporting, team assignments.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization with regard to communications, public relations and advocacy.
- Work with staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Proactively identify, mitigate and manage potential brand reputation issues; lead on Equality Now’s communications risk management strategy and crisis communications.
- Work with senior leadership to assess communications and PR opportunities; help shape, execute appropriate strategies; and assist in strategy, implementation of corporate and other third party partnerships.
Communications Operations and Management
- Oversee the Communications & Marketing Manager in creating and implementing a plan for communications and marketing, including distribution of actions, alerts, blog pieces, and strategic direction on Equality Now’s social media properties in a multichannel marketing context;
- Oversee the Communications & Marketing Manager in close coordination with development staff to create content strategy for Equality Now’s online and offline engagement needs; and devise editorial process and communications calendar to fuel engagement goals;
- Oversee the Media Relations Manager in developing and implementing a strategy for media engagement across locations, and to ensure consistency and tone of messaging; engaging, cultivating, and managing press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Equality Now programs, special events, public announcements, etc. including through the preparation of press releases, media advisories, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, blogs, articles, talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed;
- Oversee the creation of all print communications, including the annual report, marketing collateral, electronic communications and media materials;
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development;
- In close cooperation with the Director of Development and the development team, develop a system of monthly online revenue and engagement dashboards; monitoring web traffic data using Google Analytics and SEO tools; and manage EN’s pay-per-click advertising activities to support steady increases in paid search traffic to websites;
- Establish and implement systems focused on effective functioning of the communications and marketing team across offices;
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals for all communications and marketing staff;
- Motivate team members to strive for exemplary results and ensure that appropriate systems, tools and procedures are in place.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Director of Communications & Marketing should be an energetic, flexible, self-starting team player with the following experience and qualifications:
- At least 7 years of successful experience in communications and marketing, ideally gained in the social justice advocacy/policy arena; credibility and experience to connect Equality Now to a range of resources and opportunities outside the organization;
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with the presence, credibility and skills to develop and sustain a broad range of relationships; highly developed listening skills;
- Track record of leading successful digital marketing campaigns, building audiences; achieving high levels of engagement; developing and executing short- and long-range strategic plans to guide efforts;
- A track record of strong management skills and tools and at least 5 years of management experience; a strong leader with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, with the ability to foster collaboration and contribute to building a strong sense of community among staff; a team builder who motivates staff to strive for high level results and a positive work environment;
- Experience working with diverse communities, ideally internationally, across race, class, ethnic, political and geographic boundaries;
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time and budget management skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail; a willingness to share in both ‘big picture’ thinking and administrative tasks;
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board, activists, volunteers, donors, and others.
- Creative thinker with insight into the rapidly changing communications and marketing environment;
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (an advanced degree is preferred); ability to travel internationally occasionally;
- Written and spoken Fluency in English; Fluency in Spanish, French, and/or Arabic is desired.
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
To apply: send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: email@example.com with the “Director of Communications & Marketing” in the subject line. No calls please.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.