Development and Communications Associate
Based in: New York
Reporting to the Events & Individual Giving Manager and working closely with the Development and Communications team, the Development Associate is responsible for all support and administrative aspects of fundraising, events, internal meetings and communications, and activism activities. A full-time, entry level position based in New York City, the Associate is an integral member of the Development team, working with EN staff in our New York, London and Nairobi offices. This is an excellent opportunity to work collaboratively while gaining experience in a range of critical non-profit functions.
Equality Now’s mission is to achieve legal and systemic change that addresses violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world. Our vision is a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law, and full enjoyment of their human rights, and we use a range of legal advocacy tools to create a more just world for women and girls. Founded in 1992, EN focuses on Legal Equality, Sexual Violence, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), and Sex Trafficking, wielding political pressure and strategic litigation to ensure that governments eradicate violence and discrimination and uphold the rights of women and girls.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate will provide support to an expanding development and communications team as follows:
- Maintain a professional and well-organized department, creating efficiencies in functions, operations.
- Enter data, including donor information, gifts, etc. and create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed; create, organize and maintain donor files and archives.
- Coordinate and implement solicitation mailings, including mid-year and end-of-year individual fundraising campaigns.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters.
- Track and report on outreach to prospective donors.
- Assist event team in the planning and execution of special fundraising events; assist with coordination of special donor cultivation events.
- Prepare correspondence: proofread and format letters, reports, and documents to highest standards.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective donors.
- Ensure timeliness, consistency, and clarity of internal and external communications.
- Work enhance information sharing and internal communications via Monthly Staff Updates, Global Staff Calls.
- Manage record keeping, and corporate files.
- Assist in preparation for all departmental meetings, teams and task forces to support development goals and objectives.
- Assist with production and distribution of Equality Now collateral and program materials: e.g. online content, print publications, event banners and signage, photo slideshows, videos, etc.; assist with social media posting; event collateral and general promotion materials.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Associate must have the following assets and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent proofreading, writing and verbal communications skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and communicate to upper management to be clear about work priorities.
- Experience with Raisers Edge.
- Ability to be resourceful and solve problems.
- Excellent phone and relationship-building skills. Ability to interact effectively by with a range of stakeholders, including high-level donors and volunteers.
- Flexible schedule required as event, campaign and proposal deadlines sometimes require work outside normal business hours.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, internet research, e-mail and file management, social media and digital communications.
- Experience with graphic design project management a plus.
- Cross-cultural/international experience.
- Facility with written French, Spanish or Arabic a plus
- Some prior knowledge of or experience in the human rights sector.
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
To apply: send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with the “Dev Associate” in the subject line. No calls please.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.