Consultant - Francophone West Africa
Based in: Kenya, Benin, Mauritania, Senegal or Mali
Equality Now, an international human rights organization dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women and girls globally, is seeking a bilingual (French and English) Consultant to manage the ‘Using the Law and Legal Mechanisms to Address Harmful Traditional Practices (HTPs) in West Africa’ project.
About Equality Now
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and Ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Sex Trafficking and Sexual Violence.
Based in Kenya, Benin, Mauritania, Senegal or Mali the Consultant’s prime responsibility will be for work under the ‘Using the Law and Legal Mechanisms to Address Harmful Traditional Practices (HTPs) in West Africa’ project. S/he will report to the End FGM Program Manager, and be a member of the End FGM and Adolescent Girls’ Legal Defence Fund (AGLDF) teams.
The Consultant will manage project activities in Mauritania and Benin with a focus on:
- Partnership support and capacity building;
- Regional and international legal advocacy;
- Project Implementation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting; and
- Media and communications.
The Consultant will support the End FGM Program Manager and the partners in the:
- Identification of potential cases of violations of girls’ rights through HTPs for strategic litigation with the goal of setting legal precedents in collaboration with partners;
- Provision of legal advice and support to partners in strategic litigation cases on HTPs either through domestic courts or using regional or international mechanisms
The Consultant will, under the guidance of the End FGM Program Manager:
- Support partners in advocacy using regional and international advocacy using regional and international human rights law and protocols;
- Organize training for lawyers on the use of international and regional human rights mechanisms in litigation relating to HTPs;
- Establish and maintain contacts with organisations campaigning against HTPs in West Africa and;
- Generating Equality Now actions and alerts.
Project Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation
In line with donor requirements and Equality Now commitments and systems:
- Prepare a work plan with partners and Equality Now team;
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of project activities according to the project proposal;
- Work with partners to ensure that activities are monitored and evaluated and also identify specific challenges or successes that would interest the donor or partners and;
- Provide timely, accurate reports on activities to donors.
Media and Communications
With the support of the Program Manager, the Consultant will represent Equality Now to the media to raise public awareness of HTPs in close collaboration with Equality Now’s media and communications team.
Qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Master’s degree in international law/human rights law preferred;
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights framework and relevant UN and African human rights mechanisms/instruments;
- Experience in working on international human rights law with regional and international treaty monitoring bodies on issues of women’s and girls’ rights;
- Five years’ experience in litigation and proof of admission to the bar;
- Experience in training and facilitation;
- Skill and experience to effectively communicate and advocate for justice;
- Fluency in French required and a good mastery of English preferred;
- Experience working in or with civil society organizations in West Africa preferred;
- Experience in on-going capacity building of civil society organizations;
- Experience in project management especially monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-cultural team;
- Experience working remotely from line manager preferred and ability to work independently;
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, writing and editing skills and use of computer software; and;
- Willingness to travel relatively frequently.
Please send resume and cover letter, in either French or English, detailing how your qualifications, skills and experience are relevant to the scope of work to:
Application Consultant, Francophone, West Africa
Equality Now Africa Regional Office
P.O Box 2018-00202
Applications must reach Equality Now by April 20, 2017. Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to short-listed candidates.